Our relationship with food begins at birth and never ends. How we feel about our body and eating is a direct reflection of how we feel about ourselves. Life can be difficult and completely unfair at times, and nobody is born with the full knowledge of how to navigate through its many challenges. Sometimes, turning to food to cope is the only thing we know.
But there are many ways to deal with life stressors and challenges without turning to food. The list below are just a few examples. See if there are any on here which seem like a good alternative for you to try.
- Take a walk
- Color, paint, draw or doodle
- Write in a journal, write a poem, or write a letter to someone you miss
- Ride your bike
- Listen to music, or listen to a new type of music you never considered before
- Call a friend
- Try a new exercise class
- Walk the dog
- Make a gratitude list
- Create a special gift for a friend
- Take some photographs
- Get some friends together and play a game